King’s Oak Academy was founded in 1921 as Kingswood Grammar School. From the start it was a mixed school catering for students up to the age of 18 years. In the 1960s it had around 850 boys and girls with 250 in the Sixth Form. The school became a comprehensive in 1967 when it changed its name to Kingsfield School.
Kingsfield was awarded specialist status in mathematics and computing in September 2006.
In September 2011 Kingsfield School became an Academy as part of the Cabot Learning Federation and was renamed King’s Oak Academy.
90 years since its establishment, King’s Oak Academy continues to plan to meet the needs of the students and the community it serves.